I have been playing video games quite a bit since my life as a student has ended. Now my life as a lowly intern has commenced! I have a bit over an hour of commute to work each way and this bag was knitted entirely on the subway/buses. It took about a week to complete.
I did not follow a pattern since I suck at sticking to them, but here's how I made it.
Needle size/gauge/yarn weight doesn't matter here. But I used a wool/nylon bend sock yarn (gift from my best friend) and size 2 needles.
- Cast on 8.
- Divide stitches onto 4 double pointed needles (2 on each needle).
- Join (don't twist your work!)
- For each of the 4 needles, make 1 (or however you want to increase) then knit to the end.
- The idea is one increase per needle until it forms the desired size for bottom of the bag.
- Find a cable pattern you like (or wing it) and knit each of the rows for the pattern four times, i.e. knit row 1 on first needle, row 1 on second needle, row 1 on third needle, row 1 on fourth needle, row 2 on first needle, row 2 on second needle ....
- When the bag is about an inch from desired length, start knit stitches in the round until it reaches the desired length
- Bind off
- Make i-cord (directions here) long enough to go around the open mouth of the bag twice.
- Thread i-cord through the knit stitch area at the top of the bag and you are done!