Monday, January 30, 2012

Traditional Japanese Breakfast - Nattou!

I used to eat nattou for breakfast every day! After moving to Atlanta without a car (oop!), I was cut off for a while. I rented a Zipcar over the weekend and finally hit the Super-H-Mart and scored a dozen of these on sale.

Nutrition value on the box for one serving:
Calories 75
Fat 2.0g
Carbs 7g
Fiber 4.5g
Protein 6.5g

Nattou is soybean fermented with bacillus subtilis or nattou-kin. It's kind of like yogurt and cheese in that it's fermented, really good for you nutrition wise, but you probably won't like it the first time you eat it. It's slimy, smelly and generally messy to eat. 
It comes in Styrofoam boxes with dashi (Japanese stock) and mustard.
It's sticky (see the "whiskers") and eaten with hot rice. The little whiskers are very light and tend to float up and stick all over my face...
Sometimes, if I stir it long enough, it'll form a cocoon (though it doesn't last long) and I pretend to be a spider...

No comments:

Post a Comment